FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car got broken in on Hilton parking lot.... compensation?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:31 am
TMOliver

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
TS Cards punched in Chaplain's Office

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
My car was parked on a private parking lot, belonging to a Hilton property in NY State (I won´t publicly tell which one). It got broken in, as did two other cars the same night. Another two cars had the same destiny last week.
Do you think I should ask for some sort of compensation here? BTW, it`s a rather long-term stay....
If by virtue of this incident you are only now learning that in almost every case, commercail and hotel parking lots claim and have established in law no liability for this sort of event. Some states require signage in the facility, while others require it to be otherwise published, but I cannot imagine having traveled by auto (or driven much in one's own city) without having learned this, one of life's bitter lessons.

Don't leave "nuffin" in your room either!

While your auto insurance may not cover events like this (except as damage to the auto above your "deductible", your "Homeowners' Insurance" may offer some recovery from theft (but these days come with ever increasing deductible limits).