FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Valet gave car to another guest
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:12 pm
joybuggy

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
Hi everyone, I just wanted to post a resolution to this tale. All of your advice was so helpful and ultimately I decided that the 20,000 points were sufficient compensation given that the whole thing worked out OK in the end. Also, the GM called me last week to apologize and that was a really genuine gesture that meant a lot to me.

I called him today and thanked him and his staff for handling the situation as gracefully as they did. I explained that the 20,000 bonus points were fair compensation and their attitude and actions throughout the day had adequately made up for the inconvenience. Therefore, I really felt that I had been made whole in regards to this situation. I just let the GPS case thing go - I didn't like zipper on it anyway so would have likely replaced it on my own eventually.

However, I advised him that I hadn't been won back to the Marriott brand at this point. I explained that I started a new job in November where I will stay at hotels 2-3 nights per week, 50 weeks a year, and I asked him to look into raising my status in advance of accruing it as a gesture of goodwill. He agreed to do some research and find out if this is something he can offer.

We had a great chat about the woes of business travel in general and he explained to me that complaints to Marriott should always be routed to the GM first and then when you are not satisfied to contact the management company that they report to (don't even bother calling Marriott Customer Service because they just route everything back to the problem location and you as a consumer get frustrated).

The Marriott Courtyard in Sherman Oaks gets an A+ for customer service and a great GM. Their valet screwed up big time, but mistakes happen and the GM and all the staff really cared to make things right and that is what is really important to me at the end of the day.

Thanks again everyone!