FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pickpockets in Europe
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:08 pm
VA747

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
All of the above posts offer excellent advice, especially having an inside pocket/wallet worn around your waist (ones on your neck are obvious), leaving your passport safe (definitely photocopy it), a fake wallet is good as well as a front pocket wallet...think you can get them from Magellan's, at least we did several years ago. Only carry one credit card and leave the others locked in your room. Squares and train stations as well as prominent tourist locations can be your greatest risk, especially if you take a moment to look around and see which way to go. That is exactly what happened to my husband and I in Italy...standing still, deciding which way, ten year old approaches me and asks the time, I lift my arm to look at my watch, get half way and think, "Oh, my gosh". Meanwhile my husband has been approached by another kid about ten, husband grabs me to run, I look around as he pulls me and see a woman about forty going straight for his wallet...he has stepped back, knocks her down (not even knowing she is there) and off we go, having escaped something that could have been unpleasant if his back wallet wasn't a dummy, which it was. Italy and Spain are definitely a problem...don't know about Praque or Brussels. I have seen women crying at large tourist sites b/c purse was taken...we have been lucky, but we do take precautions.