FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Must pilots climb over controls to sit?...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:23 am
tim1966

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
No log-book as it was a one off birthday present and the first time I had had the experience. It was a level d simulator based at Manchester UK. Used for commercial pilot training and command courses.

I was impressed by the way it could be changed from an A330 to an A340 simulator and back again by making a few minor changes to some of the panels.

It was very expensive and my flight involved three people for an hour with 20minutes in control of the simulator. The flights were all around MAN and each of us got to have a go at a take off, final approach and landing and an 'emergency' situation. You could buy an individual experince which got you the simulator for 2 hours. In this one you could choose where you wanted to fly and experience a whole range of situations. (Have to wait till my next 'big' birthday for that one!)

I got to fly the plane into the ground, waiting for the ground proximity alarm to tell me to pull up! When it did, it was full power to the engines and pull back on the stick to climb out. It was quite a rush!! It would have looked fantastic from the ground if it had been real! Although I wouldn't have liked to have been the Cabin crew as the passengers deplaned at the airport. I think there may have been one or two claims for compensation.