FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comments on the new "hot breakfast" at HI Express
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:02 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by jimc_usa
Mabe the "free" breakfast has raised the prices?
No, I think it may have something to do with this being the high season for Florida hotels considering it has been Canadian university break through much of February and it will be US university break through March. In any case, no matter where you go in Florida in the winter, you're going to pay a lot more than in the summer.

As for the quality of the breakfast, considering HIXs do not have full catering kitchens their offerings are going to be somewhat proscribed in this fashion and the eggs prepared off site for warming prior to being placed out for guests. You don't think there's been a bakery in each HIX that makes those cinnamon buns do you? If you do, then have I some Florida real estate you might be interested in!

In any case, the quality of the omelets and bacon are about on par with what we used to get in coach on morning flights when they actually gave us breakfast. I suspect you complained in just this same way about the quality of that omelet, but now complain equally about not being served food inflight! Both kitchens, inflight and HIX, are limited to reheating not food preparation. To install a full kitchen -- to use for four hours a day -- and hire a cook/chef would most certainly add to the room rate.