FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sat in the Pilot seat!
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:03 am
UnitedF1RST

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Skiff
Back when UA was flying a JFK-SEA A320 nonstop, we were in a ground stop for ~4 hours at JFK due to thunderstorms in the area. Being an aviation geek and sim junkie, I ended up on the flight deck talking with the F/O for a good hour as the Captain had left the plane to talk to operations. After about 10 minutes, he said "do you want to sit down?" and there I was in the left seat.

I recall asking about particular approaches he found difficult, what hydraulic systems powered what when they did a single engine taxi, flying techniques, and all sorts of other stuff that you could ask about without being considered suspicious before 9/11. Aside from my 2 flights with Capt. Molly Flanagan, it's probably my best memory from a UA flight. It didn't hurt that as a lowly 2P at the time, I was in 6A, had an empty middle, and the gentleman in 6C was a 1K or similar, because the first class F/A brought him a sundae...and then asked if I wanted one too.

Not bad, when you think about it: a 4 hour delay is one of the best flights I've ever had on UA, and it was all about customer service.
See? Why cant they figure that out. Its ALL about customer service! For an industry thats based on something as unpredictable as the WEATHER for crying out loud thats really all they have left. Customer service!

I remember an experience not more than a year after 9/11...we were boarding and the FA gave my brother the Captain's hat and said to go give it to him and I could go along (I wouldve been about 12 at the time). We talked with the pilots and got to sit in the captain's and FO's seats. Still looking for a picture of that....but it was a cool experience.

Last edited by UnitedF1RST; Feb 29, 2008 at 1:11 am