FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Valet gave car to another guest
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:57 pm
joybuggy

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
Angry Valet gave car to another guest

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Sherman Oaks last night and this morning discovered they had given my rental car (a silver PT cruiser) to another guest. The car had my CDs, a book, a GPS charger, and some garbage in the front seat - how could the other guest not notice?!!?! The hotel knew the other guest well and reassured me that everything would be all right but he was 73 years old and batty. They drove me to work and offered to take me to the airport this afternoon. They also offered to return the rental car to National once it was found and handle any extra charges that were applied.

I reported it stolen to National roadside assistance and was advised to call the police. I called the Van Nuys police and they would not take a report as I was not the registered owner. I called National LAX to make the report but they wouldn't answer. I tried for several hours but could not get through so finally just had the hotel towncar take me to the National rental car return at LAX. The manager called the hotel and refused to file a police report or to close my contract until the car was returned. The hotel faxed over a statement to National accepting all liability but still they would not close my contract.

All day the hotel tried to reach the other guest but had no success and he finally returned to the hotel at 4:45p. When the situation was explained to him he insisted it was his car and lots of confusion ensued. The valet manager drove the car back to National and it was returned at 6p. I sat at National car rental from 2p-6p.

I missed my flight at 4 and I am still at LAX now at nearly 8p. The hotel has credited me 20,000 Marriott bonus points. I haven't checked my folio yet to see if the valet charge has been reversed...

Anyone have any comments on this situation?