FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nice to Barcelona by Bus
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:57 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Romelle
Might be better rates when there? I was surprised how high it was.
Likely no. One of the reasons budget airlines have been so successful.

And I ride buses and trains so I can see the scenery, have a little more personal space, get up and move around, and talk to locals if I choose.
Personally, much as I like to see scenery, I can only give it my full attention for about 2 hours at a time. 10-12 hour trips just become a blur.
The buses won't give you more personal space, and whilst the train might (because they don't always) you will need it - after all the trip is about an hour by plane and nearly 12 hours by train.
I also like to talk to locals. I can usually do this just fine in the town, city, village I'm going to, or in the local train/bus.
Spending 10 hours on a journey looking out is a very passive way of travelling. Sure, you may enjoy it - many people do - but you seem to be trying to convince us that you believe it allows you to interact with the area and the local people more. You'll have more genuine opportunities to get up, move around and talk to the locals, if you choose, at wherever it is you're going to.

I thought the OP was interested in the night buses/trains as these give you an experience (good or bad depending on who your travel companions are), utilise the time you'd spend sleeping, provide you with some scenic highlights at the beginning and end of the trip, as well as saving you the cost of a night's lodging.

Also, those budget airlines are pretty good at getting more money out of you.
How do they do that?

If it's about catering costs, train buffet cars charge similar prices.

I flew with Ryanair last night - it cost 15.99Euros all in from Spain to the UK with a ticket I bought two weeks ago and I bought water and a Subway sub to consume on board at the airport.
I don't think 15.99Euros would even get you a meal on the ferry between England and France.