FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:19 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BOB W
The halibut stuffed with crab is awesome also. Definitely worth the price.
I'm not a huge crab fan, so I found it good but I still prefer the halibut cheeks.
Originally Posted by BOB W
Just be careful when ordering fish, especially salmon. Most restaurants will try to foist off farmed salmon. They do that with a lot of species, tilapia, trout, catfish, etc. I try to avoid farmed fish on principle. I actually had a waiter apologize to my party at Mesa Grill at Caesars Las Vegas in January for having to try to sell farmed salmon to Alaskans. Way not cool......
Yeah...but that's usually not a problem up here, is it? I think a restaurant would go out of business up here if it tried that! I think you meant specifically when ordering at restaurants in the Lower 48...

My mom grew up in California and never liked salmon because of its "fishy" taste. After we moved up here, it took a lot of coaxing from friends up here for her to try real, fresh salmon, which to her surprise didn't have a fishy taste!

FWIW, I do enjoy the occasional salmon, but I'm really a halibut kind of guy. Simon's is always good for a treat, but I've actually had a hard time finding more down-to-earth fish 'n' chips in Anchorage. Momma O's is pretty good. (Believe it or not, I've never had Humpy's.) The fish bake at Pioneer Park/Alaskaland in Fairbanks actually did pretty good fish...