FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:20 pm
aussieinsf

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
We just spent five nights in a non-smoking "view" room so yes, they exist. This was a newly renovated room type and seemed to be the third level of room type on their rate card (standard or similar, deluxe and then view and then junior suite). I had written to the hotel in advance to ask for this room type and although they did not guarantee it, was got it on arrival.

The view was sensational over the tuileries and despite the small size of the room we enjoyed our stay, however, that was primarily due to the view and location as the other aspects of the hotel failed to really live up to the standard of a true 5-star Parisian hotel. The shortcomings were similar to those experienced by others (unreasonable noise from the corridor, a general lack of warmth or personality in the service and finally - an in my books pretty unforgivably at 29 Euro for breakfast - average coffee from room service).

I guess my impressions of the hotel were really summed up by one aspect of our breakfast on the first day. Room service had placed a Clementine on our breakfast tray, obviously upside down. When we turned it over we found out why - it was blemished on the upper side to the extent that it was not likely to be edible. We wrote a note on the tray returning and thanking them for the fruit but asking politely for them not to send us blemished fruit - no response from the hotel. It was not a big deal, but obviously someone in catering thought it was an appropriate thing to do (strange since in Paris a fruit store would not even pick out blemished fruit for you, you'd have to go to a supermarket to be able to purchase any). That experience really summed up the feel of the hotel for us and was a disappointment just coming from the Sheraton Brussels which went the extra mile in every aspect to make the stay comfortable and demonstrate warm hospitality.