FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Banking- As Exchange student.
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:52 am
acregal

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I will add Newspaper people to this line of thought too.

I have also never used a hanko for a bank account, including @ the very upright, buttondown, goodfornothing FUKUGIN and the Post Office. Up until recently I would say that the Post Office Savings Bank has been the best to deal with, and they certainly had the least service charges. Now that has changed since they became a quasi "real" bank.

A close friend uses the "CITI" and although they have few branches, they do offer no fee ATM banking all over the place including 24 hours at 7&i ATMS. As AlexS points out that one needs to deposit 1,000,000 Yen (about $9,400 USD) to get this service. You will also have to wait a few weeks to get a ATM card from any of these banks, and until you have your Japanese ID with your address on it this will be a non-starter.

As others have pointed out, including me, unless you are a master of the universe and have multi-bucks/great job, with someone to run interference for you at the banks, don't bother! It 's four months of your life, and if you go through the PITA banks 1/4 of your time here will be wasted in them.

Get some TC, about 500,000 Yen and then use your debit card for the rest of your needs.
It's quite obvious you've never used Shinsei. When I just arrived in the country, I registered at the ward office and got one of those certificates (I forget the Japanese name but I think it's like the certificate of registered matters). I then went to a Shinsei branch with my passport and an hour later I had my cash card. The only other time I was in a branch was when I had to change my address. I didn't even use my hanko.

Then there was my experience at Mizuho. I had filled out half of the account opening form in Japanese when one of the office ladies asked me if I understood romaji, then she took the form from me and made me write everything again in romaji I was then asked how long I had been in the country, if I had a job, why I wanted an account there, if I had a hanko, and if a Japanese friend could come to ensure I understood the intricacies of a savings account (basically they tried everything short of saying "no" to get me to leave). To be fair, they were quite persistent in trying to get me to apply for a credit card. After I left with my bankbook and everything, they called me. In their haste to ensure I didn't write Japanese, they didn't ask about the furigana for my name

If everyone's experience is as painfree as mine was at Shinsei, I recommend it. There are no account minimums nor are there any withdrawal fees (moreover, they reimburse you for withdrawals). I have yet to pay them any money. Once, a day before a vacation, I went to withdraw money (using a foreign ATM card). The card got eaten and the staff weren't able to get it back. It took me a month to get a replacement. I know people whose ATM cards have broken or have been lost and they were able to get replacements the same day they reported it.

semi-OT but what is the official status of yucho ginko now? Before it wasn't a bank, but is it now? Obviously they're calling it a bank (and it was accompanied by an expensive rebranding effort), but is it actually a bank?