FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:43 am
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post #14)
This is going to piss off a number of high yield markets, particularly the shuttle.

It also really only works if everyone else does it. If US is the only major that pulls this crap, it's really unlikely to stick.
US is capable of sticking to a bad decision for a long time. Recall that US Airways Club life members must still pay extra annually for Red Carpet Club or Star Alliance club access.
Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post #14)
Not bloody likely. The only question worth knowing the answer to here is if one still gets 500 miles to credit a Star alliance partner (notably United). If that's the case, I predict a whole slew of new 1P/2P/1K this year and next.
I agree, the latter is the big question. I doubt US would give 500 miles to UA flyers, or allow UA to do so, less US disincentivize travel on their short-hauls even more than this decision will do.

So I'm guessing that the answer is "no."