FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad or Sheraton Hong Kong?
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:33 pm
el_tigre

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
The Sheraton is fine, but after the devaluation, I find it to be totally overpriced at 16k points per night.
The OP will be traveling in July, during the Sheraton's low season, and will only need to redeem 12,000 points to get a free room per night.

As an SPG Platinum, you will either likely receive a harbour view room or a garden-view suite. I would bet only one room would be upgraded though. I have never stayed at the Conrad, so I do not know what your upgrade chances would be, but I sort of doubt a Gold would get two rooms upgraded to the executive floor.

Since it sounds like the OP will only be in HK two days, the Conrad is probably a better location, but that really is negligible IMO. The two hotels are only one stop apart on the MTR, and it is very efficient and easy to use. Probably the No. 1 attraction for a HK visitor would be the Peak Tram, which is walking distance from the Conrad. But because of the MTR, staying at the Sheraton would only make the trip about 15 minutes longer.

If I were the OP, I would consider spending 2,500 points per room per night and upgrade to the Towers at the Sheraton. Then everyone in his party would get access to the Towers lounge (which is much superior to the platinum lounge in the regular hotel anyways) and a host of other bennies.