FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:22 am
nologic

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
In the case a person is flying AA, crediting to AA but flashing their Qantas Plat card at the lounge to get access, Qantas gets nothing except a bill.
My guess this is very few QF Platinums: I suspect the vast majority fly numerous OW airlines where QF happily sells miles to those carriers and is well compensated for this activity, offsetting the cost of luange access by a wide margin.

I'd love to see someone attempt to go down the 'sue Qantas' path. It's clearly in the T&C's, and the T&C's are so written that they can be changed at any time with little notice. I also presume Qantas would have ensured that any legal action would have to be taken in Australia. Good luck!
I think US fair trade practices and consumer protection law would apply in the case of a US citizen. I don't think the small print of supposed T&Cs which lure you in under one scheme and then apply selective enforcement or change the rules of the game on a retroactive basis trump general consumer protection laws.

I presume Qantas doesn't want people who never fly Qantas and only contribute small revenue to Qantas to get a free AA Lounge Access card.

It is unfortunate though, that some people are unfairly caught up in this due to circumstance rather than Qantas being able to actively target those who they feel 'abuse' the system the most.
Qantas clearly wants this revenue, and I doubt in the aggregate that it's small. Qantas has been merrily collecting this revenue and renewing status for years, and I suspect they are very pleased -- economically and otherwise -- with this arrangement.