FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:20 pm
3544quebec

Will this qualify for the BRG?

I always approach BRG claims with great trepidation as the hassle factor usually far outweighs the benefit in my experience but I thought I would ask anyway.

I found a rate on Expedia for a Westin at $US230/night for 4 nights. It lists it as a superior room and breakfast is included.

On spg.com the rate is $US440/night for a deluxe room and the only rates quoted all include breakfast.

Checking through multiple dates on spg.com the lowest quoted room is always a deluxe room with the next rooms up being grand deluxe and Westin Workout rooms. So I assume that Expedia's Superior room is the same category as the deluxe room.

Secondly, the T+Cs of BRG say:

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include (a)Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package, in which the property does not provide the extra service, including, but not limited to accommodations plus airfare and/or car rental and/or cruise, and (b) hotel accommodations sold with value added amenities, including, but not limited to, free breakfast and hotel parking.

Surely, the wording of this means that if a hotel only offers rates that include breakfast or if the hotel has free parking then SPG never has to honour the BRG for such a hotel.

Bottom line - are they going to knock me back because Expedia calls the room a different name and offers the same breakfast that spg.com offers?

And yes, I realise that the correct answer to my question is probably that only the BRG desk can say. But it just illustrates again the arbitrariness and consumer unfriendly nature of the policy and its implementation.