FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F Lap Child run amok
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:02 pm
steve32

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by sinanju
And remember the days when, if a neighbor disciplined you, and you complained to your folks, they'd respond, "What did you do to deserve it?"

Nowadays, said neighbor would be in jail for raising their voice to the precious snowflake.
Depends on if the parents are trying to raise their child right.

My parents were picking up their gradeschool age grandchildren (my neice and nephew) and the neighbor's daughter from their busstop to take them home (just 3 blocks away, but past a registered sex offender's house, thus this is the daily routine that some adult is there waiting to carpool them those few blocks).

The door closed, and I wasn't seeing them put on their seatbelts, so I reminded them they needed to. I got "lip" back, and my parents said it was okay as it was just a few blocks. I reminded them about the statistics that some 85% of vehicle accidents occur within a few miles of home, but they poo-poohed me! (To say I was flabbergasted and extremely disappointed in their poor attention to safety is an understatement).

That evening, during dinner there was a phone call from the neighbors. It was the neighbor girl's mother calling to say that the seatbelt "incident" came up in conversation at their dinner table. She then put her daughter on the phone to have her apologize to me for not putting on her seatbelt and for not obeying a safety instruction from an adult.

I was vindicated, and now all three of the kids make sure that their parents and grandparents belt up too.

There are still a few parents putting in the effort, and they should be recognized too.

Steve