FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Coach to Asia
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:40 pm
IADSIN

Originally Posted by jtduarte
First time flying unted coach internationally - wondering what to expect for SFO-HKG or NRT-SEA legs...Meals, drinks, AVOD etc. Thanks in advance.
Suggestions:
- Buy up to Economy-Plus (E+) if you aren't a UA Premier flyer. E+ uses the same seats, but has more leg room. So E+ is a lot more comfortable than ordinary Economy (E-).

- 777s have per-seat audio/video with 9 video channels, but 747s have a per-cabin projector.

- 777s seem to be more comfortable in E+ than 747s in E+; I'm not sure why.

- Usually there will be a Japanese meal option and a US meal option. The Japanese meal option is usually better tasting to me.

- There will usually be a meal after departure, some light mid-flight snacks avaialble in the galley mid-flight (self-service), and a light meal before arrival. It is always wise to bring along some non-perishable snacks of your choice on such a long flight.

- I try to sleep trans-Pacific, no matter what cabin class I'm in. If you also want to sleep, consider bringing eye shades, ear plugs, or whatever else would let you get some sleep. When I'm in economy, I always bring a little self-made "amenity kit" with such things.