FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Intl Economy plus being looked at; CRJs phasing out, juicy Q4 conf call
Old Jan 19, 2008, 2:47 pm
pbarnette
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Well, for one thing, there are only a handful of competitors, period, in this marketplace.

However CO does go head-to-head with competitors that offer lie flat (in at least one cabin) on (assuming NYC as one market -- EWR & JFK):

1. EWR/JFK-HKG
2. EWR/JFK-NRT
3. EWR/JFK-LGW (and soon LHR)
4. EWR/JFK-CDG
5. EWR/JFK-FRA

In most of these markets, though, the only true lie-flat is in F.
Sort of. They also at least claim to compete for markets other than NYC. For example, I fly CPH-US. If I am flying to EWR, then CO offers a non-stop and that works to their advantage. If I am flying to SFO, or LAX, or BOS, or even IAH, then I have to make a connection. I can connect in EWR, with CO and not get a flat bed, or I can fly BA and get a flat bed. Three guesses as to who I fly in J, and the first two don't count.

CO is at a disadvantage in the 18 major markets (I exclude EWR) that BA serves to most TATL destinations, as well as the Middle East, Africa, and (for some itineraries) India. Same logic for any market that VS serves, and for TPAC any market served by a flat-bed Asian carrier.