FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I request compensation for 17 hours of hell on Air India and Kingfisher?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:00 pm
beantown

Originally Posted by zoonil
Did you actually reconfirm with the Airline that you had a vegan meal reserved for you???
I booked the ticket about 18 hours before the flight, while the Air India offices were closed, but I sent them an email to remind them of my request for a lactose-free meal (NOT vegan, which would've been harder, I imagine). I thought this was my best option as there was absolutely no chance of me using a phone until I got to the airport. As I mentioned, they did get a special food request, but the wrong one.

My strong reccomenadation with any one on a special diet (especially someone with food allergies), is to carry their own food just in case. It could be simple things like granola bars, chocolates, trail mixes, nuts (if you can eat them), fruit etc. In any case, you had a 2 hour wait in MAA airport, and you could have purchased food from there. There are shops both before and after security. I usually have some snacks in my carry on way before I board my flight.
This is a solid recommendation for people with food allergies. Unfortunately, in my case, my stores of fruit and snack bars ran out on the Kingfisher flight (I had been on a nonstop 5 hour cab ride before that), and I had hoped to replenish them in Mumbai.

People traveling for the first time through Chennai airport should note that beyond security are only a sweets shop, two Lipton tea stands, and a slightly larger kiosk that has coffee, sodas and (dairy-containing) packaged sandwiches. Outside security the selection was identical, which the addition only of samosas and other fried foods. No fresh or packaged fruits, vegetables, nuts, or any type of meals in sight--so bring lots with you!

About the shuttle, Beg your pardon? It is the airline's fault that the Domestic and Inte'l terminals are 4KM's away from each other????? They were nice to send uniformed airline agents to meet your domestic fligth and put you on a transportation to the International terminal, as opposed to you figuring out. You should have done some home work. If you book Continental or Delta flight from BOM to (EWR) or (JFK), and you had a connection (on the same airline out of LGA, I can guarantee you Continental or Delta, WILL NOT send you an uniformed agent to help you at EWR or JFK, and pay for your transportation to LGA. You are at your own mercy to get to LGA. Again, what Kingfischer did was a courtesy (a freebie), and you had the option to take it or leave it. If you did not know that the International airport was 4 KM away, that is your problem and not Kingfisher's or Air India's.
It's no one's fault that the intl and domestic airports (note, NOT terminals in the American or European) are quite far apart, but I think it would have been relevant for someone (ideally Orbitz) to note that fact--and also that bags are not checked through--to me when Kingfisher was repeatedly insisting that I'd arrive with time to spare. I definitely would have gone outside and bought a 6.500 rupee ticket on an earlier Jet MAA-->BOM flight had this been mentioned. As for all this research responsibility...when you find out your cousin is in the hospital, probably going to die, and you have maybe 48 hours to get home to see her, the last thing on your mind is looking up information on the airports in Bombay, especially when you just assume that when your ticket says BOM on both legs, you think you're really leaving from the SAME place. Jesus, a person can't always be as prepared as they'd like. And that's when one really needs help, especially from the people, like the Kingfisher agents, that are supposed to be there to do just that.

I guess I failed to note before that, all through this transit craziness, my arm was being conspicuously held in a impossible-to-miss blue and white sling, obviously indicating that I had some need gentleness in handling, you could say, not to mention maybe a hand with the bag. This courtesy transportation they offered equated to shoving me in a 3.5m wide rickshaw seat, followed by the other passenger's giant suitcase, followed by the portly passenger, followed by the Kingfisher agent. In the end, broken arm and all, maybe it was a godsend that I was given this 40 rupee (=$1) ride, because I didn't miss the flight, but the way to have done this without inflicting pain would have been to take us three passengers outside the domestic terminal, tell us that we needed to take a ride to get to the international airport (not letting us continue to think it was around the corner, or something, as we ALL did), and hailed us rides--or let us hail our own. What was scary was that we just waited while half these 8 Kingfisher guys milled around while the other 4 were trying to find the one guy's last piece of luggage. The other two of us should have been outta there ASAP, saving us from have to make a mad sprint with our bag trailing out into traffic at the last minute. (Have you been to India? Does the driving, esp. in Mumbai, not bother you when you are already stressed/tired/sick/in a rush?)

The fact that you purchased AI was because it was cheapest of the lot. This is not Singapore airlines first class. You get what you pay for.
Jet Airways flies out of MAA to BRU and onward to NYC, but that would have been more expensive, and you wouldn't have had to deal with changing planes and terminals in BOM.
Actually, the Jet Airways flight through BRU, which I took on the way over and highly recommend, was $789 OW on Orbitz. However, it left 4 hours later and took a few hours longer, and because I was trying to actually see my cousin before she died, it wasn't a choice. But for anyone who reads this who does have time, take the Jet flight. BRU is a nice airport, with an especially nice Jet and BA lounges.

In any case, I started this thread because I was wondering if people ever sought compensation for these types of issues. I didn't really need to get called an unreasonable whiny brat for thinking that having no TV, no light in a darkly-dimmed cabin, a seat that didn't recline, and barely any food on an expensive 17 hour flight made it more uncomfortable than it had to be. In no way do I feel that Air India is a bad airline, and wouldn't rule out flying with them again. The plane was beautiful and clean and the service friendly. Other than my (now resolved) worry that the flight supervisor was being a jerk by not letting me buy an upgrade after takeoff, which one of the FAs told me was possible, I didn't have any issue with the crew. What I do take issue with is the maintenance of my seat, and the ground crew of Kingfisher, who in BOM were disconcertingly disorganized, and in MAA, less than truthful and prudent about the possibility of making my connection. If no one thinks I'll get anywhere reporting these things to AI and Kingfisher, I'll spend the time instead on physical therapy on my arm.