FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:53 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY to CAIRNS (SYD-CNS) on Qantas 767-300 in business class (international configuration!)

It was my fastest transfer international to domestic that I could recall. Gate was close to immigration. Walked straight up to officer - no line at any booth. Managed to get through the baggage claim melee fairly fast and turned right for the express customs line (regular line was rather long, as normal for this time of day). No queue there, thus no delay at X-ray.

Power-walked to transfer bus, passing dozens of passengers along the way. No queue at security (there was a queue for check in/bag drop but since I already had my boarding pass and no checked bags I simply ducked under the barrier to the security line). Waited 1 minute before the bus boarded. Arrived at Qantas Club 30 minutes after our aircraft doors opened on arrival.

Brilliant. If only every transfer was this good. So I had a bit of time in the lounge to catch up on emails before my flight was called. The announcement was made late in the boarding process, so by the time I got to the gate at the far end of the terminal I was one of the last to board.

Business class was 3/4 full, but an empty seat beside me ^

A delay on departure due to discrepancy in the amount of fuel. Rather important to have that right. Still, I hoped the delay wouldn't be too long for my onward connection is not long (and on separate tickets). I'd already OLCI'ed as a precaution. The delay was not long, but our taxi was.

Service was good.

The meal on offer was lunch (rather early). A choice between feta salmon salad and chicken. Roll, cup cake, the usual drinks. Only 1 white and 1 red wine available - I thought there were 2 of each when I flew this a couple of months ago. Some time later (after trays cleared away), an nice cream ice cream.

Being an international configuration aircraft, we had a choice of 9 channels of movies/shows.

Not much view - lots of cloud. Some turbulence about an hour out of Cairns. The bumps were not bad at all, but service was discontinued. We pulled up a little behind schedule at the end gate - thus a long walk in the outside covered passageway more than the length of the terminal, in rather hot steamy air, followed by walking back most of the length of the terminal to get to security. Poor design if you ask me.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 11, 2008 at 10:05 pm