FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:13 pm
SJPaul

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
It all depends on the ticket. Of course there are flexible tickets that allow you to change flights and waitlist for full flights...... But some of the cheaper fares do not allow any change of only against a fee......
So I understand from this thread that standby (at least as we in the States know it) is not allowed on LH. However, if you have a flexible ticket, you can make changes without penalty. Therefore, you can in effect, stand by for an earlier flight.

My question is; when is it too late to change your ticket to fly on an earlier flight?

My situation is this: I intent to book a D fare ex-USA transiting through Frankfurt. There are two connecting flights leaving FRA, one 2.5 hours after my arrival and one 40 minutes after my arrival. Although a 40 minute connection in FRA is (IMO) do-able, it is illegal and I cannot book it. If I book the 2.5 hour connection and we arrive on time, can I walk up to the gate of the earlier flight as it is boarding and say "I wish to fly on this flight" (assuming there is space)? I will have only hand luggage.

Thanks for the help.