FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:45 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Qantas 767-300 in business class (domestic configuration)

After a couple of busy days stuck on the ground I was up at OMG o clock and on my way to the airport. I almost stayed up for the flight but ended up catching an hour or so of much needed sleep and hoped my alarm would wake me - which it did, but only after it had been going for a couple of minutes!

The previous day I was pleased to note the threatened Qantas engineers strike, which changed to overtime ban, had been deferred for a couple of weeks. So my fears of being stranded somewhere on my complicated itinerary had faded and I was in a good mood.

Traffic was light and I arrived at the airport right at the time I'd intended. In the Qantas premium check in area there were a couple being seen to by one agent, and 2 Air NZ staff standing around looking bored. I was checked in but the boarding passes were slow to print and took several goes on all 3 machines. I thought the 2 Air NZ staff were unprofessional in their attitude - taking their time (even taking a call while I was waiting), joking about the printer problems and their ineptitude in entering the wrong information

I guess the regular Qantas staff are on holiday at the moment (indeed I didn't recognise the Air NZ staff either - I doubt they worked on the premium check in desk).

They already had a supply of departure tax stickers (earlier than normal), but I did not need one this time having purchased some extras a few weeks ago.

I was first to the immigration agent in the check in lobby and quickly through. The escalator to departures level wasn't working, and the upper level was fairly deserted. Immigration was not open, and remained closed until 5am. Why is it that some days they open at 4am, some at 4:30am and others not until 5am? Very annoying if you've arrived early (as instructed by the airlines) and hoping to shop/shower/do some work before the flight only to spend most of the time before boarding waiting.

Finally they open and I'm quickly through. At the WTMD the screener wanted me to put my boarding pass into a tray I just said no and walked through.

Up to the lounge which had been open for some time, to cater for the LAN arrival from Santiago. Welcomed back and headed for a computer. Oops the F ones are all in use - have to slum it in business