FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FHR/Virtuoso Etc. vs. Direct Internet Booking
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:36 pm
robyng
In memoriam

FHR/Virtuoso Etc. vs. Direct Internet Booking

I think this is the right forum for this (because it cuts across several other forums). Please move it to a more appropriate place if there is one.

I would like to hear some straight discussion about the benefits of booking through premium travel agents like FHR and Virtuoso and the like - as opposed to doing things yourself. As well as the real facts. And I will give you my bias. I tend to book hotels myself - and I don't believe everything I read about premium travel agents. In addition - if I am going to spend a week in a hotel - I want guarantees before I arrive - not promises on an "as available" basis.

Note that for people who don't want to book themselves - it frequently takes more than a little time and effort to DIY - then I think a travel agent - premium or otherwise - is appropriate. But for people who are willing to spend time on line - what do you gain?

Best I can figure out to date are the following:

Direct on-line booking rates are frequently cheaper than those through an agent.

The agent upgrades that people talk about are usually upgrades when they have paid higher rates to start with. You can usually book significant amenities (like breakfast for 2 as opposed to a bottle of water and some cookies) for the same price on-line as you can with an agent.

Significant room upgrades are not available when hotels are at or near capacity. Neither are guaranteed early arrivals (like 8 am red eye arrivals).

IOW - if I want a room of a particular size and arrival at a particular time in a busy hotel - what I get from an agent is basically no different than what I can get booking things myself.

Am I missing something here? BTW - for purposes of this thread - it would be nice if the travel agents would identify themselves as such. Robyn