FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The demise of UA Connection software
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2001, 1:32 am
BrianGrant

I am one of the many who saw the article in the WSJ on your decision to terminate United Connection. I can understand this decision but agree with others that it is premature. I have used the software for years and am Premier Executive. I book flights on UC for my family and coworkers and find it to be far more robust in terms of researching fares, and doing tricks such as open jaw itineraries. The website is slow and far less flexible in terms of ability to pick from various flights and make changes on the fly and see how the fares evolve. I keep my itineraries on file on my own computer, and enjoy the simplicity of the software. And the speed of UC on my high speed connection is wonderful. I don't dial-up, but rather use a TCP-IP connection. And at least to date on the web I have not found the ability to book a flight and pick the ticket up at a United Desk, which is necessary from time to time, especially when I am redeeming a coupon like the ones received for botched service in the past! The web has virtues including ability to see the entire Mileage Plus history, and hopefully over time the shortcomings will be eliminated.

You may be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of lost revenue. When I booked on UC, I assume that the commissions went to you directly and fully. There are many online options for booking travel that I can turn to for my United Flights that I will consider, including Expedia, Sidestep and others. And when I book with UC, you don't have to hire expensive agents to help me with my travel plans.

Having a great website is an obvious prerequisite to eliminating United Connection. But timing is everything. Since I assume you have your systems in place, the same database is accessed, and your costs are behind you, what is the harm in continuing with UC. or perhaps replicating the interface as an option - or at least the desirable features - on your site. We are not Luddites who are writing. Rather we represent the early adapters who are practical in our prudent views on technology, and also happen to be very loyal to United. I don't envy your challenges but you might want to think this one through a bit more. Thanks for your consideration.

Brian L. Grant, MD
President and Medical Director
Medical Consultants Network, Inc.
1200 6th Avenue, Suite 1800
Seattle, WA 98101

phone: 206.4473449 fax: 206.2871908
[email protected]
www.mcn.com

join our mailing list at http://MCNtalk.listbot.com

"Medical Judgment: Nationwide"