FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008)
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:18 pm
HugoCH

Programs: BA Gold; AF/KL FB Gold; LX FTL; PC Plat/Amb; SPG Gold; HH Gold; Club Carlson Silver
IC Astana Kazakhstan

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Not really, but I came here straight from the IC Almaty - a hard act to beat.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King Deluxe room for 329 USD + 16 % tax, i.e. 381 USD total. Upgraded to executive room: "You pay standard room you stay executive room!" chirped the receptionist.

How are the rooms?
Spacious enough, but the windows were dirty and there was only 1 TV (in the bedroom) and none in the lounge area even though there was plenty of space for one on top of the minibar cabinet. Indeed, the pattern of dust suggested a TV set had only recently been removed...

How is the exec. lounge?
I was told there was no Club lounge, but later found a "Club Lounge" on the 2nd floor. However, it was firmly locked.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
- Reasonably good location in the middle of the old Soviet part of the city.
- Good minibar with 2 of everything including Bombay gin and tolerable wine but no champagne (probably just as well).
- Amenity was a decent bowl of fruit.

Bad:
- Luckily I'd brought my reservation printout with me because the pre-tax rate had mysteriously increased from $329 to $374 by the time I arrived. I was able to get it reduced again, though.
- No VIP welcome, RA gift or welcome letter (no big deal ).
- This property is showing signs of wear and tear and the tap water smelled foul, but that's probably not the hotel's fault.
- The hotel website has hilarious directions: "FROM TSE AIRPORT: DIRECT ROAD TO HOTEL. HOTEL LOOMS ON THE HORIZON ON MOST OF THE DRIVE FROM THE AIRPORT". This is most politely described as a contraction of the truth. In fact, the route in from the airport involved numerous turns and changes of direction, and in spite of my best efforts with the city map I didn't catch sight of the hotel tower until I was half a block away.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Not particularly good VFM but it is the only international-class hotel in Astana until the new Radisson SAS opens. A Kempinski is reportedly in the pipeline.