FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:56 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to HONOLULU (AKL-HNL) on Air NZ 767-300 in business class

Another day, another trip. I needed to make it to Los Angeles by 1st January and so instead of taking the non-stop flight decided to go via Honolulu for the same price for a change. This had a few attractions for me, despite older less comfortable product (NZ 763 instead of 747).

1) for the first time I'd fly between Hawaii and the mainland - adding to my unique routes flown

2) the upgrade potential was better via Hawaii than the nonstop which at this time of year would almost certainly sell out in business class

3) the upgrade cost is lower via Hawaii due to 2 class aircraft instead of 3 class aircraft - indeed economy to business upgrade on Auckland to Hawaii route is one of the best bang for buck of any upgrades on Air NZ.

4) I'd get to see in the new year twice by crossing the dateline eastward on new years day. This is certainly different to my previous new years eves which have been more mainstream with visits to Amsterdam, New York, Edinburgh, London and Sydney amongst others.

So after a great NYE party I decided against getting some sleep, fearful that I would not wake up in time. Instead I stayed up and caught an early bus out to the airport.

I walked across from domestic terminal to stretch my legs and hopeful that the fresh air would do my head some good. It didn't really.

The international check in area was busy but rather quiet. Many passengers looked as bad as I felt.

I'd been watching the availability the past week or two and was relieved that the initial full load in business class had reduced somewhat 1 week out, with a good chance of my upgrade clearing.

By the time I reached the premium check in lobby the flight had just opened. I didn't recognise the agent, who gave me some grief about wanting to put in transit for the US address information Unfortunately the check in for the onward flight was not open so only the one boarding pass today. Yes, my upgrade did clear. Yay.

A small delay at the immigration desk as they hadn't opened the flight for processing. Then through and up to the lounge where I was welcomed back.