FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Voting Completed - Motion Failed) Should VX Have a Forum?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 4:58 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...If I were a casual poster and I had a question about VX but I didnt see it in the drop-down list I might very easily conclude that FT is not the place for me.
Well, that's readily fixable without further fragmentation of FT that does no one any good and harms the "casual poster" who can't find stuff: put a VX link in the drop-down list and make it actually redirect to the Other N/S America forum. Same with the small airlines that mostly service small-town Arizona and New Mexico; put their names on the drop-down list, and have them re-direct to Other N/S America forum. Same with, say, Mokulele Airlines or George's Aviation or Pacific Wings; put them on the drop-down list to "help the casual poster" but they can actually redirect to the Hawaii-based Airlines forum. That way no "casual poster's" feelings will be hurt, and he or she won't feel marginalized, and shut out from our amazing community. ^

Originally Posted by Spiff
Further fragmentation of FlyerTalk does not necessarily make it easier to find information.
That is so well-put it ought to be on a Hallmark card.

Originally Posted by J-M
If a person were to do this for the reason you've listed, it would indicate that the interest and wishes of the members who elected them [sic] is not what is being considered when they [sic] make their [sic] vote.
I didn't elect them to "represent" my interests in any over-simple way; if we wanted to have that be the Talk Board members' function, we could simply have every issue be decided by all the members of FlyerTalk -- a kind of town hall for everything. Then we wouldn't need a Talk Board (but that's another subject ), just some good polling software.

I didn't vote for those whom I did because I expect them to "represent" my views, I voted for them because I had learned to trust their judgment and therefore expected them to continue using that independent judgment to make FlyerTalk a better place through the implementation of good ideas and the blocking of silly ones.

And, after all, it isn't your interest or mine that matters, it's what's in the best interest of FlyerTalk. I would hope that those for whom I voted would have that as their goal and motivation, not simply trying in some way to ascertain my point of view and then vote "my" way. That would be more like pandering than anything else, imo.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 29, 2007 at 5:19 pm Reason: Typo