FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:10 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
Nonsense. I go to Canada several times a year (I have a number of clients there). These trips are always short, frequently just overnight, and I hardly ever buy anything. Accordingly, my Customs declaration usually recites $0, and I've never, not once, had the least bit of trouble with Customs. I've never gotten a secondary. I've never been asked questions by Customs about what I did.
I was inferring from the post I responded to that the person listed several items on the written Customs declaration, and put $0 as the value next to each one of them. This is very different from the situation where you have nothing to declare.

I don't know where you are getting this, as it's simply not true. I have clients all over the world, as well as associate firms and other offices in many different countries. I routinely ship documents, data CDs and data DVDs to these locations, and receive similar items back. I use Fedex, UPS and DHL. I've never had anything held up by Customs.
What is written on the Customs declaration? When asked to declare the value (for items that are other than "documents"), what do you put? Obviously, "documents" don't really have a value in the normal sense. I was thinking more in terms of sample goods.