FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:42 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MELBOURNE to AUCKLAND (MEL-AKL) on Qantas 747-400 in economy class

On arrival I went through security fairly quickly and then up to the first class lounge. As I expected boarding to be not far away I opted to check my messages and catch up on some work instead of having a sit down lunch. But a delay was announced around the time boarding should have commenced. The reason given cleaning and catering still not completed.

As the delay was supposedly 20 minutes that was still not long enough for a sit-down lunch but just enough time for a light salad and a couple of drinks which they were happy to bring over to me.

I'd been watching availability for this flight for some days now and it had consistently shown as economy heavily oversold (all economy booking classes zeroed out) with a few spare seats in business class. So I was hopeful for an op-up. However earlier while in Sydney I checked again and it was now Y1 (and all other economy booking classes zeroed) - no op-up for me today.

Boarding was further delayed. Eventually doors were shut an hour late. Onboard the explanation was different - late due to late arrival of the aircraft. What rubbish. For it was the same aircraft I'd come down from San Francisco. Somehow a 10 minute late arrival into MEL turned into a 70 minute late departure with a transfer time of 2:20.

I dozed during the flight. Meal was a choice of beef or pasta, with salad, roll and ice cream as well as the usual orange juice, tea coffee water and wines.

We arrived late into Auckland, reducing my very limited time here before the next trip. Immigration was quick with short queues, and customs and x-ray were very fast.