FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airport Bribes
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:52 pm
aaac

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by westcoastman
I think we have determined that for Vietnam you must be originally from Vietnam.
This is true and it is true because of the pervasive custom to "bribe" to get things done. Somehow, this sort of corrupting behavior is not considered as "bad", it is viewed as a pragmatic way to get things done in Vietnam.

The custom agent has no real power on you (unless you carry something illegal) except to make you wait for a bit. If he can not detain you, he will find another victim to play his game. Your partner "gave in" and hence give the custom agent his reason to continue to do so. As much as the dispeakable agent is to blame, so partly were your partner to continue this behaviour.

I have been in and out of SGN too many times to count since 1994 and I have never slip anything in my passport. Was I given hints and delayed from the agents? Yes, but it is in how you carry yourself. If they see that you do not fear them nor fear the wait that they are trying to do to you, they have no real power over you. Alas too many of VKs kept doing so and so the behaviour continues.

Next time that you are at the custom counter, calmly look directly in the custom agent eyes and answer his questions as courtly as you can, you will see a different behaviour. I have not had a single bribe requests for the last 5 years.