FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chris Elliott -- can't they find someone better?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:00 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'll give him some benefit of the doubt and say that Elliott is giving his EDITORS what they want, i.e. "list" articles and stuff that doesn't go too deep, use any jargon or fly above the head of the infrequent traveler. Usually that means tired stuff like "Get to the airport early," "call the 800 number rather than get in the booking line if your flight gets cancelled" and other deer pebbles of wisdom like that. Elliott's audience isn't up to where FT is in terms of travel knowledge, and some might actually read the articles (such as the list articles for "Worst ___") for reassurance about not traveling because things are bad.

Interesting to bring up Paul Theroux, too. Very interesting books, but you don't tend to read 'em and think "Man, I've gotta go there!" I think his secret is appealing to non-travelers.