FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever refused to go to a country because of its high visa fee?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:55 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Many countries (Chile, Brazil as examples) with $100 visa fees for US citizens / residents have instituted reciprocity fees - they charge what the US charges their residents to visit the USA.

There are ways of maximizing these - Chile makes it easy, as your passport will be valid for Chilean visits for the remaining life of your passport (up to ten years.) For others, you can often purchase a multiple entry visa - it took me a short trip to the Indian consulate in San Francisco, and picking up the passport in the afternoon, to get a ten year multiple entry visa I can transfer to a new passport.

For Brazil, I found it quite easy to get a multiple entry visa good for five years - $100 for a single entry would be a bit much, but it's easy to get a multiple entry visa if you know about it.

Two sources I use for visa information include:

Delta Airlines Visa & Passport Information pages
(select your country of citizenship, and your destination, for very good information

and

Travel Document Services
(a commercial visa service I have found very reliable and cheaper than, say, Zierer, where you can see the requirements for US residents and download most visa applications.)

Would I worry too much about paying a visa fee, and even fulfilling requirements I feel onerous and ridiculous (are you reading this, Mr. Putin? Russian requirements are very reminiscent of a police state for a destination I had business in or wanted to visit, particularly given I may be spending thousands of dollars on flights and accommodations? I don't think so!