FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines and LY / EL AL Israel Airlines Codeshares
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:01 am
Efrem
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by badatz
...we must remember that when Swiss had a codeshare with AA including from TLV to JFK via ZRH the prices for the AA codeshare tickets were outrageously high compared to flying on the same flight on a Swiss ticket. I am sure that it is the same on other airlines and routes throughout the world

So the question basically is how much extra are we willing to pay for miles, EQP, EQM etc above what we would pay to fly on the original metal's flight number?...
Indeed a valid concern, but you can't extrapolate from one data point to "I am sure that it is the same on other airlines and routes throughout the world." I've flown a lot of oneWorld code-shares in Europe, Latin America from Mexico to Chile, Asia and on to Australia. There is no pattern as to which is higher (I'd say the operating airline is probably cheaper more than half the time, but is often not) or by how much (trivial to significant). A given route may have more of a pattern, that eliminates some of the variables such as the specifics of the code-sharing contract, but in general you have to at least check each airline pair and probably each route.