FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:06 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
TOKYO to CHRISTCHURCH (NRT-CHC) on Air NZ 777-200ER in economy class

On boarding I was stopped at the aircraft door. Not for an op-up (business and premium economy again totally full), but to be given today's NZ newspaper ^ The FA had memorised my name on the load sheet as being the only top status pax in economy today and had the newspaper ready for me at the door. Wow

I settled into my seat early and it became apparent the middle seat block was working. Even better news followed, no - not an op-up, but rather an invite to a whole row they'd reserved for me. I accepted the offer in a flash and confirmed I could leave my bags at my allocated seat, and move their later for faster disembarkation. Hooray on this row at the back of the forward economy cabin the armrests go all the way up. I made a note to store this fact away for future reference when selecting seats. They don't on most seats due to the electronics in the armrest (at least since the AVOD system was installed).

The crew were fabulous - business headphones, a huge water bottle, premium economy mini amenity kit, asked before takeoff which meals if any I wanted to be woken for, extra blankets and pillows, business class wine, and so on.

Dinner was an hour after take off. A choice of steak and Japanese meal (fish and rice again).

I forgot to mention earlier that before each meal a wet warm cloth towel was handed out to freshen up with ^

I managed a fitful sleep and was woken about 3 hours prior to landing with the PA about breakfast choices. Grrr the noise cancelling headphones had slipped partly off during the night. It took an hour after the announcement (ie when I'd dozed back off) before the trolleys came through this cabin - why announce so early before they are ready? Surely it couldn't have taken them nearly an hour just to serve the rear economy cabin? I was sleepy so didn't take much notice of the breakfast offering.

All too soon we were descending over the Southern Alps into a bleak and cool Christchurch. Through passengers were asked to wait before disembarking to let those leaving in Christchurch off first.

I'd booked a separate flight from Christchurch in order to maximise mileage earning, and because I suspected immigration at Christchurch would be quicker and easier than immigration at Auckland. I was right. No wait at immigration. A few puzzled looks by the officer scanning my record and a welcome back. Straight through customs and x-ray, exit landside, and turn right for the connected domestic terminal.