FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:39 am
belynch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
So here's the skinny on the Sheraton Suites post renovation.

Actually, the renovation isn't completed, they're finishing with the guest rooms on the second floor in the next week or two. And I have no idea if they will be updating the common areas.

I'm going to write this in comparison to the Westin FLL, which has been my usual domicile in So Fl.

Parking is free (stupid Westin now charges $10), but its not ample. They also seem to have a security problem as there's glass shards everywhere in the parking lot. At least they could sweep these up. But, it was a nice reminder to remove all valuables from the rental car.

Location is right near 95. Yes, its near the train tracks, but we never heard the train. At check-in I asked to be on the opposite side of the tracks and my request was granted. I never heard any traffic from the executive airport down the road. There's a lot more around this hotel then there at the Westin.

Lobby is ugly in a weird way. There's a lot of marble and a lot of cheap tile. I can't even describe it. Perhaps its Luxury Collection meets La Quinta. There were almost always bellman out front, which is nice, and not always expected at a Sheraton.

The elevators were slow, but not terrible as others have made a big point of complaining about in reviews of the property.

The security of the hotel isn't great. We returned Saturday night around 11pm to see 5 cop cars out front. Not sure what was going on, but I'm guessing it wasn't something I wanted to know about. And, judging by the "feel" of the hotel, I think this is a common occurance. I'd think twice about staying here if I was a single female.

Didn't experience the F+B. But there is a restaurant and a bar as well as room service.

The rooms were definitely recently renovated and it was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. ^ With the exception of the glasses in the bathroom smelling like Windex everything was in working order and really nice. Back when I worked for Hyatt we had a room standard of "no signs of previous occupancy" and this room definitely passed that test with flying colors at first glance.

The bed was a Sweet Sleeper, although the mattress was a bit "soft" in some parts. I slept well though. Two plasma TV's, nice furniture. Bliss products in the bathrooms. Starbucks coffee for the in-room machine.

The only criticism I had was they kind of half-as*ed the renovations. While the furniture is all shiny and new, they could have taken the time to clean up the walls and some of the other things that show how old the structure is. It looked like someone was chipping golf balls against the wall in the bedroom. It was kind of weird. Oh, that and the water heater took a while to "kick in". But, I'm used to letting my shower warm up for a couple minutes before getting in.

Also, the wi-fi ($10/day) sucked in my room. I hate, hate, hate, that hotels don't have ethernet cables to supplement their weak wi-fi. And the power strip which is built into the desk in the "other" room was designed by someone who has never plugged anything in before. Its set about 1/4" down into the desk so if you have an oversized plug (i.e. a laptop or cell phone adaptor) it renders the power strip useless.

While it might be loud in the atrium, the noise doesn't penetrate into the bedroom. Very functional, quiet and clean rooms - which is all I need.

Staff interactions were limited to checking in and checking out.

I'd definitely stay here again for 129/night, although I'll give the Westin another go after they complete the renovations. You just have to deal with the Westin nickel and diming you on everything, which is a pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt a "resort fee*" when they're done with the renovation.

The hotel is certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be on here (but I could see it being pretty horrendous pre-renovation).

*the Westin is far from a resort. But, if they can squeeze an extra nickel out of you, they'll probably try.