FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate Comments by Strangers...advice needed
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:20 pm
beckduer

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by SJC1K
You know what? The enormous guy has noticed that he's fat. He knows how to take action if he chooses to. Your "kindness" does him no good.

If someone else is being harmed, you can intervene. If the big guy is usurping your space, you can speak up. But if a fat guy is doing no one but himself harm and inconveniencing no one, leave him alone.
Amen, Amen, Preach it Brother! (or Sister, as the case may be)

For some, being over- or under-weight isn't a matter of choice or dieting or exercising or anything else. For some, their body/metabolism/brain makes that decision for them and they are shanghai-ed along for the ride. Any attempts they make to change will frequently make things worse.

Making rude, pointed or unkind comments as a way of pushing your moral superiority isn't going to make a lick of difference to these people. They can't change it, and I guarantee they would, if they could.

I've seen it, up close and personal. Not me, but someone people VERY dear to me.