FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing Olympics..
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:24 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
As a result, I'm taking the opposite position on accommodations--I think Beijing will be awash in extra rooms and this will become apparent around April or May. Then prices should start to come down as reality sets in, except in the luxury properties that are already block-booked for officials, package holders, etc. I do think international flights into Beijing will be a problem, as there isn't enough capacity through most of the year right now.
Yes, but if history is any guide, the "glut" won't become apparent until July. Beijing could be early, however.

From my perspective -- having attended other Olympics -- this one looks about the same level of "toughness" as others. The nice thing is that ticket prices are relatively cheap. Availability -- at least advance availability -- is always difficult. I figure I can round out my offerings by paying local scalpers (assuming I can make the necessary connections) twice the face value and still have affordable seats.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was this summer to book frequent flyer tickets to Beijing. I was expecting much worse.

But to the average person, this is all too difficult. It is why few unaffiliated individuals go. Those who do usually have a good time.

BTW, thanks for the message board recommendation -- I'll look at it.