FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Internal US highway immigration checkpoints?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Some states have active truck weigh stations some do not. Freedom of movement is not stopped as in "Soviet Russia" as WHBM suggests, same with the Ag checkpoints at Arizona and California, where they check for plants and fruit. Overweight trucks do massive amounts of damage to highways and are fined if overweight. Bugs in fruits and plants can damage crops, thus some states take action, others like Texas and Louisana used to have animal check points for cattle and others beasts but stopped funding them years ago.

WHBM there are several roads marked with kmh signs, Houston for example has them near the airports, and the medical centre (the worlds largest and full of foreigners). Orlando is another example. As for KM markings, that road south of Tucson is one as is Deleware highway 1, but I have read that has changed recently. I have seen signs in Maine in both kms and miles also.

As for in Europe, you should carry your passport if you cross borders. I lived (and still do part of the year) on the tri-border, dreilandpunt, literally on the German-Dutch border and very closs to Belgium. The Dutch can fine you 100s of Euros for not having a passport (or EU id), and I have seen it happen.

Ciao,
FH