FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:20 am
Bostom

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Why is the East Hartford Sheraton...

...still a Sheraton?

Reading some earlier posts about this property, maybe we didn't have such a bad time after all. The car wasn't broken into, nor did we find several dozen condoms under the bed - not that we looked. But for a Sheraton property, this hotel ranks as low or lower than almost any other at which we've stayed. Reading back a bit, I see similar posts for the past three or four years. Why does Starwood allow this to continue?

When you reserve a room with two double beds, and the desk clerk confirms a room with two double beds, and you hike upstairs with your luggage to find a room way at the end of the corridor expecting a room with two double beds and instead find one with one king bed; well, not a good start. It was a Club Floor room, as was the double double we were switched to, and guess what? It was exactly like any other room in the hotel except that it was on the 8th floor around the corner from the closed Club Lounge. The room contained no bottled water, nor any bathrobes, but like the first room we went to, offered the ultimate in peaceful and quiet luxury: no phone service. Both rooms had two phones; none worked.

Unfortunately, the absence of intrusive phone calls was offset by the ventilator noise coming from the bathroom, noise secondary to an airstream so strong it would open the bathroom door if not secured and which could be partly muffled by placing a facecloth over the intake register. The suction was strong enough to hold it there. "Partly muffled" was an improvement: with the bathroom door closed it sounded like you were trying to sleep next to a bus that was idling as opposed to one running at full speed.

BTW: Both water and working phones were promised around 5 pm but not delivered before checkout the next morning.

As the Club Lounge was closed, the desk clerk grudgingly gave me a coupon for the breakfast buffet, saying she would make an exception as "we don't usually do this." Perhaps she was onto something, as - at 8 the next morning, with only one other table in the dining room occupied - we found no breakfast buffet. We were offered an "American" breakfast instead. "Little America" maybe, as each and every item was stone cold: eggs, bacon, tater tots, and toast.

Things got better later that morning when I took the third right from the parking lot and got onto I-84 but at the hotel, from start to finish, ours was one perfectly awful stay.

If this hotel was branded as a Four Points, I'd still be disappointed, as the experience is on a par with a Motel 6.