FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is Thai Airways not releasing award seats to UA?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:12 pm
rjque
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDProf
Well, they don't have to be able to negotiate bilateral prices for the price-based interpretations of their perspectives to be accurate. TG is blocking access for the price UA is willing to pay, and UA is not releasing the seats on TG because they won't pay the price TG demands (even if they get it from others).

In fact, it's even more like the dealer blocking me from a new BMW, since others are willing to pay the posted price (that I am not).

That said, it doesn't diminish the OP's, or the broader MP community's, frustration at not being able to access the awards, and it doesn't help that other *A programs are willing to pay the price UA won't on our behalf. Also, I'm frustrated about my (lack of) BMW.
I hate analogies but I'll play along.

I'm willing to pay for the BMW. Indeed, I flew UA because it promised me the BMW. The dealer has made the BMW available to UA at the price UA expected to pay when it promised the BMW to me. UA has obtained the benefit of promising me the BMW but doesn't want to have to perform its end of the bargain.

More succinctly, UA sucks.