FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Coke Reward Points [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:16 pm
bzss7x

Originally Posted by ZeppoX
OK, at the risk of spoiling what I am going for:
Warning on the Simon gift accounts: it appears to be impossible to use the full amount. It's a Visa "card" that exists only on-line. To convert it to a plastic card you pay a $5.95 fee. To use it online you will lose a dollar or two because the merchant will ping your account with that amount to verify the address, temporarily reducing the balance. Also, since to the merchant it looks like a Visa card, so far I have not found a single one that will let me use it plus another form of payment. So with a $25 Simon account, one has to find a purchase that comes to precisely $23 or $24 to maximize the benefit. Some online merchants will let you buy gift cards in any denomination, so that's one way to use a Simon account -- and possibly double-dip miles or points through a shopping portal, if the merchant gives points for gift card purchases (I've found I get green points for buying gift cards with just about any merchant, when I cannot get miles from my favorite airline).
No, Simon will not let you combine the orphaned dollar or two from multiple accounts. They got to make money somehow.
I've had success purchasing $25 gift cards from Best Buy. BB will shipp the cards for free and then I can use them in the store or online. I have read others have bought $25 Amazon gift certs as well; while others use it to knock $25 off of a bill. Just a few things to consider if they are ever available again.