FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Room Service tips on top of tips
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:19 am
seoulmanjr

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by serfty
A gratuity is by definition an ex-gratia payment and is fully optional.

Here in Oz, we generally don't get 'service charges' included in the bill/check. Nor is tipping expected - It does happen, generally for service over the normal.
I wish the whole world operated this way. Sadly, what we see instead is cultures that never expected or encouraged tipping latching onto the phenomenon as Westerners travel there and start giving tips unnecessarily.

The notion that I should hand out money to every service person I encounter in a fancy hotel where I'm already paying hundreds of dollars a night for the privledge is ridiculous. They are certainly being compensated more than if they worked at a one star hotel. I'm staying there and paying the insane room rates for the included service -- not just the space. The expectation that you should tip every person that delivers, opens, cleans, or smiles instead of only for extraordinary service is just silly. It makes it feel more like an a la carte menu.

Generousity or stinginess has nothing to do with it. It just isn't right from a client service perspective, in my opinion.

Ugh.

peace,
~Ben~