Old Nov 13, 07, 7:24 am
graraps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
I can understand the attraction for Arabic tourists (although Beirut is so much nicer and more pleasant that it is just a crime that people are not going there). But as for the everyone else going there to make money part, that's not at all what I saw--Europeans are going there on vacation, in droves. It's stunning (and kind of horrifying). I went there to make money , and a lot of other people do too, but not the vacationers! What are they thinking!?
It depends. For example, there are quite a few Russian tourists in the UAE. It's easier to go there than mess about with getting a Schengen visa just so they can sunbathe a bit!
Others are just stopping over on the way from/to Asia/Pacific. EK and EY usually offer free stopovers, so you can effectively get an extra holiday at the same time as saving money on flights (typically, Middle Eastern carriers are cheaper from Europe to Asia/Oceania than LH/BA/AF). There is no VAT and a bit of bargaining can net you cheap watches/electronics without any of the fear that you would have in China/HKG that they may just be good quality fakes.
Hot weather year-round, too. Shorter distance, many more flights, and much less crime compared to the Caribbean.
DXB may not be the world's most exciting destination, but it works for an awful lot of people.