FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:39 pm
CessnaJock
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Heard the one about the radio studio and the mixing desk in it that had an entire pint of coffee poured into it? (it wasn't me BTW) It took the entire studio out of action for a week whilst the engineers replaced parts and tested all the fader channels in the desk very carefully after first drying it out.

Sugary water is nasty stuff with electronics so be careful out there, I was intorduced to someone who had dried out his phone which had been in orange juice (for sometime I'm told). He expected it to work fine after this despite not washing the orange juice off, and needless to say was wondering why when he reconnected the battery it didn't spring into life. I explained that a morning soaking wasn't good for it (yes that's a whole morning) and that yes they would know he had done it if he tried to take it back saying it didn't work.
Good advice - to which I would add: if you have to wash beverages or slime out of your phone use only distilled water or a hydrocarbon solvent like TCE, because the minerals that make water "hard" can form current paths on the circuit boards in the drying process. My brother-in-law dropped his RAZR into the pond in front of his farm house and used well water to clean it. Rinse, dry, power up, and zzzzt!

Good luck.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Nov 8, 2007 at 8:09 pm Reason: Afterthought: denaturated alcohol would probably also work. Easier to get than carcinogens.