FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - why don't we just implement El Al security?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:56 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Bart
I think you overlook one very basic point. Even with all the consternation over TSA screening procedures, there are certain passenger rights that still exist that El Al appears to ignore. Your condemnation of "politically incorrect" and subtle disagreement with "profiling" only works as long as you, personally, aren't the one pulled over for additional screening or additional scrutiny. The people who advocate more intrusive security procedures or "proactive security" do so because they believe they will be immune from such additional scrutiny.
Bart, you are wrong. Every Israeli realizes that he can be pulled over for more intensive security yet the heavy majority of us favor this system.

Keep in mind that "profiling" includes many factors -- not just religion or country of residence. If there is anything about you which seems strange to them in the initial questioning it will continue until they are completely satisfied that you are telling the truth.

I was once asked if I served in the Israeli Army Reserves. I told them that I did and that I was an officer. Given my very heavy English accent and my flow of Hebrew grammatical mistakes, this got Security very concerned about me.

I usually get through in less than 5 minutes but was questioned for almost a half hour this time. Still, it was done both professionally and courteously (indeed, I would even say in a very friendly manner) and realizing how precarious our national security situation is, I had no objection and still prefer a system where we look for terrorists, not weapons.

(BTW, there is no need to take off shoes at TLV and you are free to take as much liquid as you want with you.)