Old Nov 8, 07, 11:46 am
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
My God, I thought I was the only one. I just spent two days in Dubai on business, as part of a trip that also included Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, and Doha. (It was my first visit to all of these places except for Doha.)

When I left, the huge question in my mind was why on earth ANYONE would go to Dubai on vacation. The air is horribly polluted, it was broiling hot--too hot to lie on the beach--even at the end of October, the place is one big construction zone with absolutely nothing green or pleasant, there are no cultural or historical attractions, the traffic is nightmarish and the whole city is the most pedestrian-unfriendly place I've ever seen in my life. I am dumbfounded that this place gets any tourists at all, much less the millions that show up every year. What on earth is the attraction?

Kudos from me to the Dubai Tourist Board, or whatever it is, that has concocted this spectacularly successful snow job.

Meanwhile, 1.5 hours down the road is Abu Dhabi, which was vastly more pleasant (and less smog-choked). And a 45-minute flight away is Muscat, which totally took the prize in terms of tourist charm. Even Doha is better than Dubai (although the fact that they take your alcohol from you at the airport is a bit of a negative, I admit...although now at least they give it back on the way out!).

As for the Burj al-Arab, consider yourself very lucky that you could not get in. One of my traveling companions was staying there, so we went in with her. I have never in my life seen anything more tacky and hideous.