FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - why don't we just implement El Al security?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:51 am
Bart
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kibison
It would never work.

The TSA is set up for reactive security.

El Al is set up for proactive security.

El Al knows every detail about every passenger before the passenger gets to the airport. If they are missing anything, then you get the "20 questions".

El Al only flies a tiny amount of passengers compared to the entire USA. There is no way the US government could possibly implement nor manage the huge system that would be required.

And lastly, and most important to the USA, El Al uses politically incorrect "profiling".
I think you overlook one very basic point. Even with all the consternation over TSA screening procedures, there are certain passenger rights that still exist that El Al appears to ignore. Your condemnation of "politically incorrect" and subtle disagreement with "profiling" only works as long as you, personally, aren't the one pulled over for additional screening or additional scrutiny. The people who advocate more intrusive security procedures or "proactive security" do so because they believe they will be immune from such additional scrutiny. They think it will apply to someone else who stereotypically falls within a certain category. That is, until they're pulled over. Then it's an outrage, a violation of basic civil liberties...it's profiling!

I like the current model. Yes, it's imperfect. Yes, there are ways it can be improved. However, it doesn't cross any lines (yeah, I know some in here will disagree).

This is why I'm skeptical about the much-ballyhooed SPOT program that TSA is undertaking. While I don't think it necessarily crosses the line; I do think it approaches it much closer than is necessary.

FWIW, I'm probably exceptionally qualified for that program. Not boasting, just stating a fact. I refuse. It is where I draw the line.