FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska MVP Platinum?
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:11 pm
SPIT

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... this program was designed when the route structure was limited.
Agreed! Program created when there was nothing longer than ANC-SEA. Now you can fly HNL-SEA-MIA. Plus, allowing partner accrual, it takes no time to reach Gold with a few international long-hauls.

I'm trying to think of how a 1K is better off at UA than a MVPG is at AS. The 1K pays more for the RCC than the MVPG (or anyone) does for the BR. The 1K gets CR1s and 500s, the MVPG gets unlimited UGs instead of 500s, and 4 "companion upgrades" which he can use himself. (We cannot compare with SWUs or upgrade chances on widebodies, because it is a different animal). The MVPG has a similar chance of getting an UG as a 1K on a transcon 319 or 320. On the small planes, there aren't enough UG seats to go around. The MVPG gets the same mileage bonus as the 1K (double). As AS doesn't have agents that can take care of difficult issues for you within the BRs (they send you out to a CS agent), status with or without lounge access doesn't matter no matter what your tier. Since UA got rid of the 1K rooms, 1K is in the same boat as anyone with RCC access. Both get to speak with agents in North America. 1K beats 1P for waitlists, etc., but at AS, all MVPGs are in the same boat.
  • More for RCC membership due to numerous location benefits. AS very limited in comparison.
  • Y+ for nearly all flights if upgrades not avail (almost like unlimited AS upgrades, but more often)
  • Upgrades and bennies on *A carriers
  • Use of *A lounges
  • Addt'l baggage allowence (nice for certain business needs)
  • Exclusive Saver Award inventory for 1K's
  • 100 hour upgrade window
  • Opportunities to earn system-wide upgrades
  • Truly priority service... versus standing at the AS CS counter because of my cancelled flight, and they closed the MVP/G line because they were "too busy" to operate the seperate line. Golds received no priority whatsoever. If flying UA as a 1K they'd already have you taken care of before you had to ask. Or worse case, head to the lounge and they'll take care of your re-booking.
I just don't see that given the fleet and route structure of AS that an MVPG is much worse off than a 1K at UA. I'm sure others will differ.
AS MVPG is a great program.... no doubt about it. Also, makes it easy to earn multiple status, since only 40K needed on AS. But they could include some addt'l Platinum benefits to encourage those who happen to fly 100K + to stay with AS versus fly their competition.