FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska MVP Platinum?
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:45 pm
SPIT

Hmmm... well... wasn't trying to offend anyone with the term "casual" MVPG. For short-haul road warriors, yes, it requires frequent flights. For others, crediting a half-dozen or so t-cons (or fewer partner international long-hauls) to AS MP gets you Gold quickly... not really the road warriors.

I know 40K flyers enjoy being top-tier... it is a nice benefit, and I'm not complaining because some years that's what I fly too. But if AS wants heavy fliers to keep their butts on AS, they need a program that offers a Platinum level.

Myself, I'm currently a frequent SEA-ORD flyer (plus some vacation travel)... nothing fancy. I have multiple airline choices, and with FF plans aside, AS is one of my favorites. But with AA and UA offering Exec Plat and 1K programs, I find myself often booking their flights instead of AS to take advantage of their benefits.

I'm not proposing reducing any AS Gold benefits... keep Gold as is, they've already reduced it enough in recent years. Instead, add simple benefits to Platinum such as:
  • Upgrade at 100 hour mark
  • Ability to upgrade AS250 fares
  • Four additional companion upgrades
  • Reduced/Free Board Room membership
  • Ability to upgrade Q fares at booking

Ask yourself, if you're already flying 50K - 60K miles a year, wouldn't you squeeze in a couple more AS/partner trips to reach the extra benefits of Platinum if it were 75K?

Best part, it wouldn't cost AS much... Plats would be mostly made of current MVPG's, so U space wouldn't be anymore constrained with the exception of addtional companion certs.

Just a thought... flame me if neccessary!