FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 2: Palatable Moderation
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:21 pm
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

I'll step in here to correct any misunderstanding that other members may infer from this. I personally made the suspension and return decisions of Punki, not the Moderators. I was also involved in reviewing the returning membership status of Hunki as well. As for never receiving warnings. In reality, the Moderators don't have any control over that. The Moderators employ a database hosted by the House of Miles into which warnings and notices are recorded and those notices are then sent out automatically by the system. This way, we can actually see that notices were sent, not to rely on others to say they were. There are times when these notices are sent to either an older email address the member has on file within their FlyerTalk record which has not been updated by the member or lost somewhere in cyberspace either with spam traps, clogged mailboxes, etc. But we do have records in the database that warnings were sent. We are always sorry that our system cannot positively guarantee delivery of such important information, but the system eliminates many of the possible bottlenecks.

Thanks for understanding the the decision that Punki is referring to here was mine and mine alone. And to Punki's credit, she has redeemed herself and returned a valuable member. And that Hunki guy is a pretty good fellow himself. Hopefully these types of issues will not be part of the remaining debate sessions.

Originally Posted by Punki
Kanbear writes:
Well you can actually count me (and my husband) among the teeny, tiny little subset of FlyerTalkers who have both A. been suspended, and B. Never received an official (or even unofficial) warning prior thereto.

I am hoping that since our overturned suspensions, and maybe even partially because of them, that the moderator team has tightened up on themselves, making clearer guidelines, investigating their suspicions more carefully, and conferring with one another in greater depth before taking action. That would be good for everybody, but especially for the efficacy of the moderator team.

It would also be a wonderful thing if the moderator team established a consistent method of communication with the general membership. You know, something like, "We had a meeting in Phoenix last week to discuss how to better serve the FlyerTalk Membership. Here are some of the policies that we discussed, and decisions that we made. ................................. We welcome your input and feedback in order to do a better job in the future."

Given patience, and a sincere effort at trying to understand one another's positions, there are probably very, very few instances, except for blatant spamming or posting of obscenities, where suspension is actually necessary.

Open communication--talking and listening, really trying to understand one another--is always a good thing. Shoot it might even result in whirled peas.